Friday, January 23, 2009

The Demon King of Swedish Pop

Some people poke fun at me because I watch anime. I don't watch a lot of anime, but there are a few series I got hooked on and have continued to watch for 300+ episodes. But only a few. I don't cosplay or hump life size pillows with anime characters printed on them or anything. But still some people poke fun at me from time to time.

Well, who's poking fun at who now?! ME, that's who. And YOU. Well, what I mean is, ME, I mean, *I* am now poking fun at *YOU*. That is what I meant.

Anyway, a friend of mine recently steered me to a new anime called Detroit Metal City. Based on a manga of the same name, the 12-episode anime series came out last year with a live action version following soon after (on my last birthday, as a matter of fact, and NOBODY offered to take me to see it. In Japan).



Did I get your attention? Yeah, thought that might work.

Don't worry, it's not any of that hentai tentacle rape stuff. At least I don't think it is, I've only watched the first episode so far. Feast your eyes on the trailer:



DMC is about a young man who moves to the big city hoping to fulfill his lifelong dream of singing swedish pop music. Instead, he somehow ends up becoming the lead singer for a Deathklokesque death metal band that he totally hates called Detroit Metal City. To add to his discomfort, he's in love with a girl who also loves swedish pop and also hates DMC. She doesn't know that he's in DMC, because he performs in heavy make-up under the name Johannes Krauser II. Much wackiness ensues.
The songs are kickass awesome. Here are the lyrics to one of the few songs I can print here without getting my blogger account banned (I hope):


Murder (SATSUGAI)

I'm a terrorist from Hell!
Yesterday I raped my mom!
Tomorrow I'm gonna carve up my dad!
Kill, kill, kill, kill your parents!
Murder, murder!
Repaint your memories in blood

I don't have a mom or dad
That's because I killed them!
I don't have friends or lovers
That's because I killed them!
Murder!
Murder!


It's all in good fun, honest. All the lyrics are intensely despicable, but that's part of the joke. DMC kinda makes Deathklok look like girl scouts in comparison. Except they don't actually kill anyone. Not in the first episode anyway.

Currently, the anime and live action movie are only available on region 2 and 3 DVDs, so if you don't know how to torrent, you're out of luck. You might be able to find them on streaming sites, but they'll look really shitty. You can, however, buy the wicked awesome toys from Big Bad Toy Store and you can buy the soundtracks, mangas, and other goodies from YesAsia.

[Thanks to D for the heads up!]

1 comment:

  1. This post highly compliments the Grim Reaper entry. What an incredibly attractive weeeeeeeee little man. I'd hire him just to be my personal leprechaun.

    ReplyDelete